Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chapter Seven

The following morning Kaycee and I just hung out on the ship. We tanned until noon, when I got a text from Nick.

Nick-J: Water-park @ 12:45. See you then.

The text was simple but I knew what he meant.

“Kaycee, it’s water-park time!” I said, jumping up from my beach chair.

“Great!” She exclaimed, jumping up with me. We left our finished lemonades on the tables next to our chairs and headed back to the cabin to change into our swim suits.

We were in a rush, so multi-tasking was pretty important at this point of time. Kaycee was slapping on sunscreen onto my shoulders as we walked down the ramp from the ship and onto the boardwalk.

“Where are we meeting them?” Kaycee asked as she rubbed the sunscreen onto my shoulders and back.

“Great question. I should probably ask him that.” I replied, grabbing my phone from my beach bag.

Ali-P: See you at 12:45 then. Where will you be?

“Okay. Text sent. Now we just wait for a reply. Are you almost done back there?” I asked Kaycee, looking over my shoulder.

“Yup. My turn.” She said, coming up in front of me. She handed the bottle to me and I squirted some of the lotion into my palm, rubbing it around and then applying it to her back, making sure to cover every spot.

I heard my phone beep from inside my bag, but there was no way I was sliming it up!

“Kaycee, could you get my phone?” I asked. She reached back and grabbed it from my bag.

“It’s Nick.” She replied.

“What’d he say?”

“He says to go into the lobby. Ask for their room number and then meet them in their room.”

“Oh great. Do you think the receptionist will believe we’re just not some crazy fan-girls?” I asked, remembering last night at the club.

“What should I say back?” She asked, shrugging in answer to my question.

I finished applying the sunscreen and slipped the bottle into my bag, wiping my hands off on my beach towel that hung around my waist.

“Here.” I said, reaching for my phone. We hadn’t even reached the prom yet, and it was close to 12:20.

Ali-P: Will that work? Last night at the club, the host didn’t think we were with u.

“Come on, we’ve got to walk fast if we want to make it there on time.” I said after I sent the message. The boys’ hotel was a good half mile from the prom, and with all the people out and about on this gorgeous day, it would take a while to walk half a mile.

We picked up our pace, and were nearing the club when Nick texted me back.

Nick-J: Big Rob will be waiting for you.

“Oh, okay. That makes sense.” I said, reading Nick’s message.

“What makes sense?” Kaycee asked.

“Big Rob will be waiting for us.” I repeated Nick’s text message to Kaycee and then replied.

Ali-P: Awesome.



By the time we finally reached the hotel, it was 12:35. Just like Nick had said, Big Rob was waiting for us in the lobby. We didn’t have to go through the whole process of asking the receptionist for their room number, and then getting glared at like some crazy people.

Big Rob led us up to the boys’ room. It was huge, practically a house in a hotel. When we walked in, we saw the boys standing out on their balcony, overlooking the hotel’s private beach. Danielle was out there, too.

“Thanks Big Rob.” I said, before making my way to the balcony.

“No problem, Ali.” He replied. I loved how husky his voice sounded.

We walked toward the balcony door, opening it as quietly as possible. Of course, Joe must have ears that can ear a mouse on the floor during a storm, because he turned his stare in our direction as soon as the door clicked.

“Hey guys!” Joe said, causing Kevin, Nick and Danielle to look, too.

“Hey Joe!” Kaycee and I echoed together.

“Nice outfits!” Joe commented. Kaycee was wearing all sky-blue/teal, and I was wearing all white. You had to be matching, even if you were swimming!

“Are you guys ready to go?” Nick asked, leaving the rail where he had been leaning over.

“Yep.” I answered, giving him a smile.

We went back inside where Kaycee and I took off our tank tops and shorts, and stuffed them into my bag. I took the towel that had been around my waist, and put it tied it back like it had been before. Then we set off for the water-park.

The entire way down to the park, I was worried that fans would attack JB. Of course, that was the least of my worries, since we had Big Rob with us; but the only thing that he couldn’t protect the boys from…was the paparazzi. And as soon as we hit the sandy beach there were tons of them!

“Nick! Joe! Who are the girls?”

“Are these your girlfriends? Joe? Nick?”

The questions were flying at us from all directions. Nick just held up his left hand, and grabbed mine with his right. Their cameras kept snapping photos and I was sure we were going to be the headlines on the gossip sites later that night.

“Just ignore them.” Nick whispered in my ear. “Don’t answer any questions, either.”

I nodded my head as Nick opened the gate to the outdoor water park.

We made our way over to a secluded area and obtained some beach chairs. I set my bag down and then took off my flip-flops.

“Let’s go!” I exclaimed, grabbing Nick by the wrist after he’d pulled off his t-shirt and baseball cap.

We headed to the largest water slide first, of course. Except once we started climbing the steep stairs and path, it was Nick pulling me by the wrist instead of the other way around. I must have forgotten to mention to him that I was terribly afraid of heights?

“Nick stop pulling my arm! I’m afraid of heights!” I screamed to him as we got higher. We were right next to the rail that looked down across the rest of the park.

“Move over here.” He said, pulling me to the opposite rail, which bordered a grassy hill. I immediately felt much better, and he let go of my wrist.

“Thank you. Now that I’m no longer hyperventilating, we can actually enjoy the ride.” I said, a smile spreading across my face.

He returned the smile and we continued along the path. I looked over my shoulder to see Joe and Kaycee following after us. Kaycee obviously wasn’t afraid of heights, because she was practically dashing up the path, right next to the outer rail.

We finally reached the top of the path, and a lifeguard was waiting near the entrance to the slide. It looked like he could tell I was nervous…I was clinging onto Nick’s side, farthest away from the edge. Okay, so it was completely obvious, but still.

“If you want, you can sit in his lap.” The lifeguard suggested towards Nick. I looked up at him and he nodded.

This is going to be a tad awkward. I thought to myself. I looked over my shoulder and Joe and Kaycee gave me a look that said “Hurry up! You’re holding up the line!”

I looked back and Nick was already sitting on the slide, just waiting for me to hop on his lap. I climbed aboard, trying as hard as possible not to sit on his…well, family jewels.

The lifeguard gave Nick a shove in the back and we immediately went flying down the slide. I started screaming, and Nick was just holding onto me as tightly as possible, which made my screams turn into laughs. As we splashed into the pool at the bottom, I heard Nick laughing too.

“That. Was. Fun!” I said, breathless.

“Yes, it was.” He replied, laughing some more. We jumped out of the way just in time for Joe and Kaycee to come splashing into the pool. Kaycee had sat on Joe’s lap too.

I giggled when they stood up and walked over to us.

“Now where to?” I asked, smiling.

“Let’s head over to the pool.” Kaycee suggested.

I dashed over to the where I’d left my bag and grabbed it, heading after Joe, Kaycee & Nick. Kevin and Danielle had already headed over to the pool, so we were going to join up with them.

I left my bag next to Danielle’s things once we had gotten to the pool, and then jumped right in. It was cool and refreshing.

“Come on, Nick! Don’t be afraid!” I said, splashing some water at Nick, who was standing on the edge.

“Who says I’m afraid?” He asked before plunging in. He came up and shook his wet curls.

My god, if he hadn‘t already melted my heart, that would have done it right there. I thought to myself as I smiled, swimming over to him.

“Very graceful.” I commented on his plunge.

“Thanks.” He said, smiling.



We swam for an hour and half before all agreeing that we were starving. After Kaycee and I had dried off all the way, we put our clothes back on over our swimsuits and then followed the boys to a gorgeous fenced-in outdoor dining area.

Our table was served little sandwiches cut in triangles, like in England, and Joe went off on a story of how since the Bahamas were owned by England (which I wasn’t sure if they were or not, but believed him anyways) that that was the reason for the sandwiches being like they were. I couldn’t keep a straight face and try to eat my sandwich the entire time Joe was explaining the ridiculous story to us.

Nick kept looking at him like he was crazy, but also laughed a couple of times.

After we had finished eating I pulled out my cell phone and checked the time. It was almost 4:15, and the ship was leaving for the US at exactly 5.

“I hate to be a fun ruin-er, but we have to go. The ship leaves in 45 minutes.” I said, slipping the phone back into the bag. Joe looked up at me, and then took out his own cell phone.

“She’s right. Dudes, we’ve got to get back to the hotel and pack our things, or we’re gonna miss the cruise home!” He exclaimed, waving for the waiter to bring the bill.

Nick looked at me like he wasn’t ever going to see me again, but I gave him a reassuring smile.

“We better get going, Kaycee.” I said, getting up from the table.

Kaycee got up too, and I bent down to grab my bag.

“Here, Joe, I’ve got the bill. Go along with Kaycee.” I heard Kevin whisper from his place on the other side of Nick and Danielle.

Joe and Nick both got up from the table and walked us out of the fenced-in dining area.

Kaycee gave Joe a hug and I could hear him whispering something to her. I was so going to have to make sure she told me what it was later.

“I’ll see you guys when you get back on the ship,” I said, hugging Nick.

“I’ll see you too.” He replied. His voice sounded different, almost like he was realizing we only had one week left together. Now he had me realizing it too, and I hugged him tighter.

I pulled apart from him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“See ya later, Nicky.” I said, pushing down the brim of the baseball cap he was wearing.

“Bye.” He said, letting his fingers trail along my palm before completely letting go of my hand.

Kaycee and I started walking back along the sidewalk, heading for the prom. I gave her a glance, and suddenly she started singing Hannah Montana’s song “He Could Be the One.”

“Smooth talkin’. So rockin’. He’s got everything that a girl’s wantin’.” She sang, a smile spreading across her face.

Of course I couldn’t just walk next to her and not sing along. I could see what she was doing.

“Guitar cutie. He plays it groovy.” I sang, joining in.

“And I can’t keep myself from doing something stupid. Think I’m really falling for his smile. Get butterflies when he says my name.” We sang in unison. We were both smiling, and my cheeks were starting to hurt. “He’s got something special. He’s got something special. And when’s he’s looking at me I wanna get all sentimental!”

“Keep going!” Kaycee said, pointing at me to sing solo.

“He’s got something special. He’s got something special. I can hardly breathe. Something’s telling me, telling me, maybe he could be the one.” I sang, beginning to get breathless.

I looked over my shoulder and saw that Nick and Joe were still standing where we had left them. We hadn’t walked too far, maybe about 50 feet. I wondered if they had heard us singing.

~.Nick’s POV.~

I stood there watching Alison and Kaycee walk away, Joe at my side. I could hear them singing something, but they were getting too far away for me to be able to tell what it was.

I started humming, thinking maybe I would be able to figure it out, but a totally different song came to mind.

“Are you serious?” Joe asked, listening to me hum the tune.

Oops. I didn’t realize I was doing that outloud.

“What are you talking about dude?” I asked, trying to play it off; my eyes were still watching Alison as she and Kaycee now seemed to be skipping along with singing.

“You were just humming a song.” Joe said, stating the obvious. Of course I knew I was humming a song…I was the one doing it, after all. “…Tonight will be the night that I will fall for you. Over again. Don’t make me change my mind.”

“Or I won’t live to see another day. I swear it’s true. Because a girl like you is impossible to find. You’re impossible to find.” I sang with Joe as we both watched our dream girls walking back towards the ship.

I itched to get back to the hotel so we could pack and get on the ship. The sooner I saw Ali again, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment