Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chapter One

“I love you, Ali Parker.” The boy’s voice was just as sweet and smooth as his face. His hand reached towards me, caressing my cheek… “Alison.”

“Alison!” The voice wasn’t in my dreams anymore. “Alison Rose Parker!”

Gosh! Why did Mom insist on waking me up from thee most perfect dream I’d had since summer started?

“Alison, get up!” This time her voice was louder, and without opening my eyes I could tell she was standing in my doorway.

“I’m up.” I grumbled, half-asleep.

“You’re going to miss the ship if you don’t get out of bed right now.”

That got my attention! My name’s Alison Parker. I’m 16 years old. I’m determined to make this summer the best; of course it does help that I’m going on the Disney Channel cruise for a whole two weeks, and my parents won’t be with me. What could be more perfect?

I kicked the covers off of myself and stood up, putting my feet in my fuzzy slippers. My Nick Jonas poster caught my attention right away.

“If I can only be with you in my dreams, then let me sleep forever.” I crooned at the poster, tracing my hands on the paper-lips of my pop-star crush.

“Ali, are you up?” My mother asked as she passed my bedroom door.

It’s official, Mom definitely knows how to ruin the perfect moment. I sprinted to the bathroom and quickly took a shower, throwing on my bathrobe before coming back into my own room to change into the outfit I’d picked out the previous night. I threw a baby-blue tank top on over my bra, and pulled on a pair of super-short jean shorts. Perfect.

I pulled my hair into a pony-tail, leaving the bangs hanging down to the sides, applied a soft layer of make-up, and then lugged my two suitcases downstairs and set them by the front door.

I found my Mom in the kitchen, hurriedly trying to spread cream cheese on a bagel.

“Mom.” I said, trying to get her attention.

“Oh, good, you’re up. Here,” She tossed me the bagel, and I barely caught it. “Let’s go!”

“Mom, you sound almost as excited as I am.” I laughed, grabbing one of my suitcases by the handle while she grabbed the other one, and following her outside to her waiting silver Chevrolet Tahoe.

“I just don’t want you to miss the ship. You insisted on going on this cruise, and it cost me and your father a lot of money; I don’t want it to go to waste.” She loaded my suitcases in the back of the car and motioned for me to get in.

I obliged, hopping into the passenger seat.

“Come on Mom, I know you’re just trying to get this over quickly so that I won’t have to see you crying.” I muttered from behind my mouth-full of bagel.

She gave me a look that straight-then-and-there told me I was right, but she wasn’t going to admit it.

“Mom, it’s only for two weeks. From L.A. to the Bahamas and back. No biggie, I’ll be fine.” I said after swallowing.

Mom just nodded. I knew deep down that she wasn’t speaking because she was trying to hold back the tears.

Before I knew it, we were already at the Disney Dock. Now, I’d never seen the Titanic in person before, but this ship made me think that there could be nothing bigger. I gasped as I opened up my door, and stepped out into the bright sunshine. I immediately pulled my glasses from my head and put them over my eyes.

“Now this, is a cruise ship!” I exclaimed, going to the back to help my mom unload.

As soon as we had my suitcases from the back of the car, we were walking down the boardwalk. The line for boarding was surprisingly short, and within seconds I was departing from my mom for a whole 2 weeks. I waved goodbye as I towed my suitcases behind me up the entrance.

I was greeted by a kind luggage-boy who took my suitcases from me.

“What’s your room number?” He asked.

“Oh, uhm…277.” I replied, checking my ticket. He nodded before going off in the direction of the rooms.

I was left standing on the deck, having no clue where to go. I figured I should probably introduce myself to a few girls, so that I would make a couple of friends. I looked around at my prospects and saw a pretty blonde girl sitting on a beach chair, reading the Jonas Brothers’ book from their Burnin’ Up tour.

I skipped over, and plopped down on the chair next to hers.

“I see you’re a Jonas Brothers fan.” I mentioned, pointing at the book.

“Uh, hi. Yeah, I am.” She said, putting the book down in her lap.

“Oh, my name is Alison Parker, by the way. It’s nice to meet you.” I held my hand out for a shake, and she took it.

“Kaycee Reese.”

“So…” I said. I wasn’t much for starting conversations, at least, not with girls. I mostly had guy friends back at school.

“Do you want to check out our rooms?” Kaycee asked.

“Sure. What room number do you have?”

“I’m in room 277. What about you?”

“No way! I’m in room 277. We share a room!” I exclaimed.

“That’s awesome.” She smiled. After we exchanged cell phone numbers, we got up and headed in the direction I’d seen the luggage-boy going.

As we walked past the stage, I heard some girls giggling and screaming.

“What’s up?” I asked Kaycee. She shrugged her shoulders. I decided to investigate, but I wasn’t going by myself; I grabbed Kaycee by the wrist and tugged her along with me.

“Oh…my…Jonas!” Kaycee and I screamed in unison. We looked at each other, our mouths gaping open. Did we seriously just see whom we thought we’d seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment